Health Certificates

Home » Health Certificates

We Have A Wealth Of Experience Handling Paperwork For Animals To Travel

The new regulations for pet travel to EU and Northern Ireland have been agreed.

A GB EU pet passport is not valid and instead, an Animal Health Certificate is required which can be obtained no more than 10 days before you travel. It allows for one period of up to 4 months travel in the EU and is used to return to GB. A new certificate is required for every new trip to Europe.
As before a rabies vaccination is required which must be up to date and you cannot travel for 21 days after the initial vaccination or a booster if it has lapsed.
If you are travelling to Finland, Eire, Northern Ireland, Norway, or Malta your dog must be
treated for tapeworm 1 to 5 days before you arrive in these countries.
To complete the Animal Health Certificate, you must have proof of your pet’s microchipping date and your pet’s vaccination history.
When returning to GB your dog needs to be treated for tapeworm not less than 24 hours and no more than 120 hours before entering and this recorded on the Animal Health Certificate (except if you are coming from Finland, Eire, Northern Ireland Norway or Malta ).
More information can be found at the web site below.

Pet travel to Europe from 1 January 2021 – GOV.UK (

Please note: you are advised to make yourself aware of the diseases your pet is at risk of when they travel abroad. Please click here to learn more.

At Elm House Veterinary Centre, we have a wealth of experience handling the necessary paperwork for animals to travel. If you have any questions about your holiday plans or acquiring a health certificate for your pet, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Animal health certificates are only something we can offer to our current, registered clients. 

dog travelling on a plane in a pet carrier
Why choose us
book an appointment icon

book an appointment

Fill out our online booking form to book an appointment with us.
clipboard icon

Register your pet

Welcome to Elm House Vets – click here to register your pet with us before you visit
opening times icon

Opening hours

Monday to Friday : 8:30am – 7:00pm
Saturday: 8:30am – 12:00pm
Sunday: Closed